Saturday 29 September 2012

The Sedentary Life



One day my dad told me not to exercise. My dad told me a week before school that I needed more rest and said for the time being I should not exercise but instead sleep and get as much rest as I can before school starts. I guess to a certain extent that makes sense and I am okay with that because I was never a huge fan of exercising anyways. Don’t get me wrong, I think exercising has many benefits . However, when it comes down to exercising or sitting down with a book, I am more inclined towards the latter because I consider myself to be a sedentary person.
www.bymyin.wordpress.com/2010/11/25
/im-accidentally-delutional/
 A person who is active may find scuba diving, skydiving, or dangling from a very tall height fun. However, as a sedentary person, I do not prefer this way of excitement because I feel that it is unsafe. Call me a coward, but the only emotion I can find in doing these activities is fear. I’m scared that my oxygen tank might run out while scuba diving, that l will smack into a building when I am skydiving, or that the ropes will break as I dangle helplessly from a tall height in thin air. Of course, those activities all sound exciting and adventurous but I don’t think I’ll ever muster up the courage to do any of them. However, with sedentary activities it’s like a two for one deal. I feel adventurous but at the same time I feel safe because everything is a figment of my imagination. I can read about The Chrysalids and feel like I am right there in the story while at the same time feel safe because there are actually no mutants trying to kill me. Then I can read the Harry Potter series and feel like I am soaring through the sky and not feel scared that I am going to lose my balance and fall off of a broomstick.
                I personally think that sedentary activities are the safer and more preferred ways for me to experience things. I sometimes like to live in the figment of my imagination even more than the real world and I must admit to the fact that I am a dreamer. Though physical activities are invigorating for health, I think that getting in touch with our creativity side through sedentary activities is also an important aspect of life.

1 comment:

  1. pish posh! your father has not read about "Brain Rules"...see sidebar of my wiki. There is current research that proves that exercise increases blood flow to the brain and improves your performance in academics. Let him read about how physical activity is conducive to better grades and then he may let you exercise. As for your cowardly fear of all things physical. Well, it's fine to read books (I love them myself for escape) but it's much more grand to experience being alive. So do not fear life. Embrace it.

    ReplyDelete